WHAT ARE YOU HEARING????
- “THE GOVERNOR SUGGESTED EDITS TO THE BILL’S LANGUAGE, SO CONSOLIDATION WON’T HAPPEN, RIGHT?”
- “IT’S NOT THAT BAD, WE WILL COMBINE WITH DARIEN, RIGHT?”
- “THE LOONEY AND DUFF BILLS ARE DEAD SO IT WON’T EFFECT US, RIGHT?” …….. WRONG!
The Governor presented suggested changes to the Education Committee on SB 874 and Planning and Development Bill, HB 7192, by substituting the words “recommendations” for “plan” and “collaboration” for “consolidation.” The Governor is not the legislature; he does not write the final bills, he can only make suggestions.
- Planning and Development Committee and the Education Committee Co-Chairs write the final bill (with language that could come from any of the original proposed bills) and schedule a vote in their committees.
- Although the Governor has softened his language on school consolidation, there is a real possibility that provisions for forced regionalization could be included in a bill to be voted on later in the session, possibly added at the last minute in a budget bill.
- There is no specific clarity on school enrollment thresholds or town population in the Governor’s bill or if incentives will be forced/coerced or truly voluntary.
- Unfortunately, the P&D and Education Committees are filled with Democrat legislators who represent the largest cities in CT and they will be voting on this bill that does not directly impact their cities.
The biased news media has done very little to inform the public of these very dangerous bills and the efforts to stand up to Hartford. Do not underestimate what is happening with these bills. It is time FOR EVERYONE to share this info with your neighbors and let Hartford legislators know how we feel about the potential dismantling of our schools.